Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German arrangement in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon used and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the households after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and pet care. Immediately after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the war ended individuals were able to get their lives again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Using the depression effecting everyone here in town, the community needed to keep together more than ever. Through a national grant, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph possessed a human population of around 1050, losing 10 heroic troops to the conflict. The community continued to be strong and continued to enhance the Town, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with get more info a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its water supply, and carries on to take action.